Can you handle a sleep retreat?
You may not have heard about a sleep retreat before. This simply refers to a holiday where you just shut off from your crazy routines and catch up on a lot of sleep. Sleep debt can take a huge toll on your overall health and productivity. If you are dozing off at meetings, the dinner table or at your kid’s party, it may be time you took a sleep retreat. You may wonder, why not sleep at home? The answer is simple, being away means you are also away from your regular distractions and all you are left to do is sleep, eat, drink, sightsee and sleep some more!
Choosing a Sleep Retreat
Finding the perfect hotel for your sleep vacation may not be as simple and straightforward as you may think. Very few hotels take sleep, and particularly a proper night’s sleep, into consideration. Some of the perks that come with hotel rooms, such as flat screen TVs, minibars filled with snacks and tiny bottles of alcohol or even late night cocktail deliveries, promote restlessness more than rest. This is because these ‘perks’ simply act as distractions and impediments to your sleeping time and patterns.
A recent study at Brown University found that most people tend to sleep worse when they are travelling or on vacation as opposed to when they are at home. This is especially the case on the first night.
As a result of this, a number of hotels and spas have started involving sleep specialists and doctors in their planning and are now offering sleep packages. Some of the treatments offered are purely scientific while others just encourage sleep and complete relaxation. The ultimate goal for such sleep retreats is to ensure you get the best sleep of your life.
Luxury Hotels with Sleep Packages
There are a good number of hotels that currently offer sleep packages. These include:
- Swissôtel Berlin offers the DeepSleep Package which is valued at around £160. Find out more from swissotel.com.
- Six Senses Douro Valley in Portugal which offers a special sleep program valued at £75. For more information go to sixsenses.com.
- Canyon Ranch in Arizona. Its spa has a pillow menu for people who wish to sleep on buckwheat or down valued at £2,200. Visit www.canyonranch.com for more on the spa.
- The Corinthia Hotel London in London. This is a Sleep Retreat whose charges go up to £1,000. Find out more at corinthia.com.
- The Alpina Gstaad in Switzerland. This hotel takes a yoga-based approach and charge up to £1,600 for their packages. Visit their page thealpinagstaad.ch for more information.
- The Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru in the Maldives. One of their packages includes a three hour long Om Supti Ritual. These packages are valued from £570. Check fourseasons.com for more on the hotel.
- Glencraft Luxury