Losing sleep over The Ryder Cup
With The 2016 Ryder Cup fast approaching we know many will be spending late nights in front of the T.V to watch the worlds greatest battle it out. And while we might loose sleep during the competition it's important to look at the benefits the sport can offer you. Perhaps it's time to pick up some clubs and play your first round.
Golfing, has by some been thought to require no degree of fitness. What’s so hard about swinging and hitting a ball? In reality, Golf is a great source of upper body training, cardiovascular exercise, coordination and balance.
With these benefits outlined it’s hard to say no to golf.
- Golf offers a mental challenge that is stimulating.
- Walking long distances across the golf course improves your cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength
- Body strength training is improved by the motion of swinging the golf club to hit the hard ball, walking up the hilly terrain and carrying your heavy golf bag (so no trolleys please!).
- A good golf game requires balance and mental focus. Both of these also benefit you in other day to day activities.
- Concentration is hugely important in Golf. Learning to quiet the mind and focus on the shot in hand.
And it’s not all about body and mind:
- Improves your social life, as it’s a great way to keep in touch with your friends.
- Reduces stress as its calming and relaxing (most of the time!).
- Golf can be a great business networking platform, meet new people and share ideas
Exercise is known to aid sleep. Golf like yoga, jogging and gardening, proved to be one of the best forms of exercise that encouraged better quality sleep.
So, where do you start? A good way is to try some lessons before hitting the course or ask an experienced friend for some help. You could visit a driving range or even try a smaller pitch and putt to ease yourself in.
Although golf is a leisurely sport with low overall injury risk it’s always best to prepare:
- A good warm up is crucial.
- Use proper equipment.
- Stay hydrated during the game.
- Lift and carry clubs safely.
- Be mindful of other player’s safety.
- Rest properly on a well supported bed and mattress
And don’t forget to have fun!
- Glencraft Luxury